Lately I seem to be on a cabbage kick. Cabbage Stir Fry, Pork Cottage Roll (with cabbage), and yesterday I made cabbage soup. It was one of those soups where you walk into your kitchen, look in the cupboards, look in the fridge, and throw this and that into a pot, and hope that it is edible. Hubby asked if he could have what was left tonight with dinner. I guess he liked it.
Photo by Susan Zutautas
Here's how I made Cabbage Soup.
This will feed 6-7 people a large bowl of soup.
Prep Time: 20 min.
Cook Time: 1 hour and 40 min.
- 1/2 of a large green cabbage chopped
- 1 box of chicken broth (900 ML) or just under 4 cups
- 4 cups of water
- 4 tsp. of chicken broth powder
- 1 medium onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves sliced and chopped fine
- 1 cup of dry soup mix rinsed
- 3 large carrots chopped
- 2 good pinches of dried thyme
- 4 dashes of hot sauce
- fresh ground pepper
Let's Get Cooking
- In a large pot or dutch oven heat the chicken broth and water bring to a boil.
- Add the chicken broth powder and stir well.
- Add the dry soup mix, stir, cover and let simmer for an hour.
- Add the thyme, hot sauce, ground pepper, and garlic.
- Add the onions and carrots.
- Cover the pot and let all this cook for 20 minutes.
- Add the cabbage, stir the soup, and cook for an additional 15 - 20 minutes.
- Serve with extra hot sauce for those that like it spicier.