|Chipotle Chicken on top of brown rice, carrots & onions, corn, and a side salad|
After looking in the fridge to see what I had on hand that might taste okay with the chicken I found 1/2 bottle of Diana Spicy Southwest Chipotle marinade. This sauce is only available in Canada I believe but you could probably substitute it with another brand such as Kraft or Lawry's.
So onto the recipe .........
- 1 whole defrosted chicken
- 1/4 - 1/2 bottle of Diana Spicy Southwest Chipotle mainade or brand of your choice
- 3-4 large carrots peeled and cut into large pieces
- 2-3 cooking onions peeled and quartered
- 1- 1 1/2 cups of chicken broth
- Early in the day rinse off the chicken, and place it in either a large zip lock freezer bag or in a marinating dish.
- Pour some of the marinating sauce into the cavity of the chicken and then on top of the chicken coating it.
- Place the chicken in the refrigerator until you are ready to put it into the crockpot. I left it in the fridge for 5 hours.
- In the bottom of the crock-pot place the carrots along with the onions.
- Pour the chicken broth over the vegetables.
- Place the chicken on top of the vegetables along with any leftover marinade that's in the bag or marinating dish.
- Set the crock pot on low and cook until done. My slow cooker tends to cook faster than some. It took a total of 5 hours for my 4 pound chicken to cook.
- One or two times while the chicken is cooking open the lid and spoon the sauce over the top of the chicken.
- Remove the chicken and veggies from the crockpot and serve over rice or noodles. I served the chicken over brown rice with the carrots & onions, corn, and a salad.
|Preparing the chicken with the marinade sauce|
|Chop veggies and place in crockpot along with chicken broth and then the chicken|
I used to only use my crock pot or slow cooker during the months when it was cold outside. Using it in the summer is great because it doesn't really heat up the kitchen or house at all.
If you don't have a crock pot I highly recommend buying one. There are all kinds of great meals you can prepare with one.