Monday, April 1, 2013

Cabbage Ham Soup

The ham I made for Easter Sunday was huge, but that's okay as I can find a zillion things to use the leftovers for. It was snowing here this morning on April 1st (Spring is on it's way? Could fool me), so I thought use up some of that ham and make a soup. Hubby had done some grocery shopping last week since I wasn't feeling too good and he decided he wanted cabbage. That's fine except instead of buying one head of cabbage he thought two would be better. Looks like we'll be eating cabbage a few times this week.

Cabbage Ham Soup


Ingredients for Cabbage Ham Soup

  • 1 ham bone with most of the ham removed
  • 3/4 of a head of cabbage chopped (If your pot is big enough you can use the entire cabbage)
  • 1 box of chicken broth (I used the sodium reduced broth)
  • 3-4 carrots peeled and chopped
  • 1 small onion chopped
  • 1 large garlic clove chopped
  • 3 cups of water mixed with 3 tablespoons of dehydrated chicken broth (taste the soup before adding this)
  • 4 shakes of Tabasco sauce
  • 3 good pinches of dried thyme
  • 1 Tsp. of hot pepper flakes
  • A good shake of marjoram


Instructions

  1. In a large pot or dutch oven add the ham bone almost covering it with cold water.
  2. Bring to a boil and then turn the heat down to medium letting the bone simmer in the water.
  3. Add the carrots, onion, garlic and the cabbage.
  4. Now it's time to spice it up. If you don't like spicy cut back on the Tabasco and pepper flakes.
  5. Bring everything to a boil and then have a taste. At this time you can add more broth, which I did. Adjust seasoning to your taste. Turn the stove down to low and let everything cook for an hour. 
  6. Serve and ENJOY!
More of my Ham Soup Recipes




3 comments:

  1. Just checked this out and it sounds so good. I am tempted to buy a ham just to have this wonderful soup. Great job as always,,, Carol

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sounds great - and I bought ham beans today because I couldn't think of anything else! I'll give this a try - even the girls love cabbage.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Man, I've been eating a cabbage soup I made on Sunday for a couple days and it DOESN'T get old - It's so good! Wonderful recipe!

    ReplyDelete

Please feel free to leave any comments or questions you may have. Thank you so much. Susan

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...